What is EXEQUO Project?
The EXEQUO Project– EXEQUO from Latin meaning “I accompany”–is an innovative initiative intended to promote a committed legal profession in the fight against injustices and in the defense of human rights of the disadvantaged and marginalized.
The project seeks to promote and defend the fundamental rights of the most vulnerable groups and to strengthen non profit organizations that assist those groups. The EXEQUO Project offers customized legal services to defend the rights of a particular disadvantaged group.
The EXEQUO Project has been awarded with significant recognitions:
It is the fist Spanish legal project nominated as finalist by the European Pro Bono Awards delivered every year by PILnet (Global Network of Public Interest Law), the most important network of pro bono lawyers around the world.
Innovative legal program in Social Responsibility by the Financial Times Innovative Lawyers 2014 Report – Europe.
Finalist in the VI Corresponsables award that recognizes the best projects and best practices in Spain and Latin America in Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability.
How we “accompany” the vulnerable people?
Each year, the Fernando Pombo Foundation selects a disadvantaged group to which dedicate the EXEQUO Project, by opening an application process to choose a non profit entity and a lawyer to develop the project.
On its first edition (2013-2014), the project focused on strengthening the rights of the homeless. The RAIS Foundation was the beneficiary entity. On its second edition (2014-2015), the Fernando Pombo Foundation has sought to strengthen the rights of women in risk of extreme vulnerability, choosing the Luz Casanova Foundation as the counterpart for the project.
Each edition looks for the accomplishment of the following goals:
- To promote the rights of a particular vulnerable group in order to foster its social inclusion.
- To encourage the professionalization of the third sector (NGOs assisting the chosen group) by contributing to the institutional strengthening of the entity and to the fulfillment of its mission.
The professional legal services offered by the EXEQUO Project are centered on:
- Ensuring the legal assistance on the development of internal processes of the beneficiary.
- Analyzing the particular needs of the beneficiary entity that require legal support.
- Drafting of the necessary legal documents.
- Technical legal training to the working team responsible for the legal issues.
- Sharing the legal knowledge learnt during the projects on the rights of the vulnerable group.