For the fifth consecutive year, the higher educational institution Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, the charitable foundations Fundación Cuatrecasas, Fundación Garrigues, Fundación Profesor Uría and Fundación Fernando Pombo, and the Madrid Bar Association’s Centre for Social Responsibility organise a new edition of the course «La abogacía del siglo XXI, el abogado solidario. Nociones básicas sobre responsabilidad social» (which loosely translates as «The 21st century lawyer, the volunteer lawyer. Basic notions of social responsibility»), to be held at UAM’s Law Faculty between 20 January and 24 February 2017.
This course, the first of its kind in Spain, builds on four core ideas:
- lawyers can transform the society wherein they work, furthering the underprivileged’s rights and access to justice;
- future lawyers must understand their social responsibility within the day-to-day of legal practice;
- the legal sector, just as the business sector, needs to include social responsibility measures within its strategic lines of action; and
- legal training should foster interactions between the community of lawyers and the ‘third sector’.
It involves twenty contact hours, divided into five four-hour sessions over five consecutive weeks. The classes take place on the Fridays 20th January and 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th February 2017, from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., at the Graduation Hall of UAM’s Law Faculty.
- 20 January: Social responsibility: Garrigues Foundation. Teachers: Mr. Jesús de la Morena Olías and Ms. Clara Bazán Cea.
- 3 February: Human rights: Profesor Uría Foundation. Teachers: Mr. Ignacio García-Perrote and Mr. Jesús Remón Peñalver.
- 10 February: Pro bono: Cuatrecasas Foundation. Teacher: Mr. Javier Carvajal.
- 17 February: Professional ethics: Fernando Pombo Foundation. Teacher: Ms. Ana Higuera Garrido.
- 24 February: Free legal aid in Spain: Madrid Bar Association. Teacher: Ms. Marisol Cuevas Gama.
Free enrolment. For further information, please click here.